Isle of Wight Council

Concerned about a child

Report a concern

What to do if you are concerned about a child

  • If you are worried about a child or young person who could be in danger please contact: 0300 300 0117.
    (This number is for the general public and runs 24 hours a day).
  • In an emergency always contact the police by dialling 999.


If you suspect child abuse: 

  • Do listen to the child. 
  • Do take what the child says seriously. 
  • Do act quickly.
  • Do continue to offer support to the child. 
  • Don't delay.
  • Don't probe or push the child for explanations. 
  • Don't assume that someone else knows and will help the child. You must act. 
  • Don't be afraid to voice your concerns, the child may need urgent protection and help.


What happens next:


  • The person reporting the case will be asked to provide written details.
  • The Children’s Services Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) will look at the case.
  • We will investigate and look at the needs of the child. We will then formulate and lead on a plan of support for the child. In most cases a social worker will visit the child and their family, sometimes accompanied by the police.
  • If a child seems to be at risk of injury, abuse or neglect a Child Protection Conference takes place. This is a meeting to discuss what has been happening and decide what needs to be done to support the child. The conference is usually held in the nearest Children’s Services office.
  • By law, we have to look into every case that is brought to our notice (under Section 47 of the Children Act 1989)


Further involvement

You may be asked for more information, but this may not be necessary. It will depend on the individual situation. Practitioners, such as teachers, health staff and the police who report a suspected abuse case will normally be involved in further enquiries.

Due to confidentiality, we can't discuss actions taken. If you still have concerns about a child please report them to Children's Services again.

Please be aware that Isle of Wight Council Children’s Services works in partnership with Hampshire County Council. This includes Hampshire County Council providing the Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub for the Isle of Wight and managing the complaints process. All contact regarding concerns about a child or a complaint from the Isle of Wight will be processed by Hampshire staff. Your information will be shared between the Isle of Wight Council and Hampshire County Council.